He has quickly learned the word "no."
Here is how it began:
Over the last several weeks, we've started to notice a new response from Liam when he does't get what he wants: a giant grimance, balled fists, and an annoying squeal. It looks something like this (minus the hair and wrinkles but add balled fists and a squeal):

It must stop now.
So, Dow and I are trying out our newbie "parenting skills." This consists of a firm "no" and even a hand pop now and then (when he insists on pulling out electrical cords). I'm surprised at how quickly Liam has learned the word "no," but I'm even more surprised by his need to test us (or find his limits).
Last night, Liam was eating dinner with us at the table. When he decided he was done, he began the grimace/fists/squeal combo. His 'tude was received by a firm "no" from Dow. Again, we got the combo, and, again, Liam got a firm "no" from Dow.
Liam then proceeded to sit there, quietly, but fuming like a baby freight train. He was mad as hell about having to sit through dinner quietly. His face was beet red and frozen in a most unattractive frown. As we continued to eat and he realized he was not going anywhere anytime soon, he face got redder and redder (again, all in silence). At one point, I literally thought he might explode. I had to cover my mouth so he couldn't see me laughing. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen (along with Dow's "you better mind me because I'm your dad face"). If only I had pictures . . .
I can tell this "discipline" thing is going to be interesting.
Morgan


I can definitely wait for that phase, maybe William will be perfect?!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Next time, take pictures!
ReplyDelete