Friday, December 31, 2010

Otis.

Otis has had a hard go of it lately. In addition to being demoted by Liam from his place on my totem pole, his ongoing dental problems have become greatly exacerbated. A healthy canine mouth contains an average of 42 teeth. Otis has only 6 left. At this point, despite being well taken care of, his dental issues are so severe that we are strongly considering having the remainder of his teeth removed. If we remove his teeth, the source of the problem will be gone and Otis will no longer be in constant pain. Also, if we remove the teeth, he will no longer be in a continuous state of infection that could (and most likely will) spread to other parts of his little body as he ages. Obviously, no owner wants to see their dog without teeth, but I definitely do not want to see my dog (or any animal) in pain if there is something I can do about it, even if the best remedy is somewhat drastic.

The infection is currently being treated. For now, we are going to keep an eye on these last 6 teeth, but I think we are only prolonging the inevitable. I just want him to have teeth for as long as he can.

I feel so bad for the little guy. Please keep him in your doggy thoughts.

Morgan

3 comments:

  1. Poor Otis!!!! Looks like a soft food diet which I image he will love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my poor Otey dude! I didn't know it had gotten this bad. Yeah so what will you feed him if/when the last of them go? Ice cream and mashed potatoes? Ohhhh or some of that Fancy Feast catfood? On a platter? Liam's baby food?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like soft dog food. And maybe some Goldfish crackers.

    ReplyDelete